Dover Alliance Church began as the result of prayer meetings held by Mrs. Harriet Fisk in a private home. Mrs. Fisk had been part of a Christian & Missionary Alliance church in Williamsport, PA, prior to moving to Dover in 1926. She had a desire to see a church planted. In 1928, the prayer meetings began and resulted in the first public meeting of the church in September of 1929. The group continued to meet in various locations until Rev. Raymond Moore was appointed as the first pastor of this fledgling group in 1931. The “Dover Gospel Tabernacle” was birthed during his tenure.
From the early days in a private home to today’s location at 228 East Third St., the church has gone through four building programs. From 1929 to 1946, it was located in various store fronts. In 1946, the first sanctuary was built, followed by an educational wing in 1972. In 1984, the current sanctuary was added and the newest addition, the Family Life Center, was dedicated in 2007.
The name was eventually changed from “Dover Gospel Tabernacle” to the current “Dover Alliance Church”. We are part of the Christian & Missionary Alliance denomination. From the very beginning, the church has focused on building God’s Kingdom worldwide which means helping men, women, and young people find Jesus Christ as Savior and teaching them to follow Him. Our facilities, community involvement, missions support, and other ministries are all done toward this goal.